Over the past several months, I have been planning on creating a comprehensive video course on how to build and profit from niche websites. In fact, many of you have been asking for such a course or have contacted me for personal coaching. However, I am having second thoughts on creating a course at all and want to know your thoughts.
As of today, I leaning towards NOT creating a course on building niche websites…perhaps ever. Let me give you some of the reasons why:
Reasons Against Creating a Niche Websites Course:
1. I don’t want to be associated with those slimy sales people that make money telling people how to make money – (i.e. most of the courses on clickbank). I absolutely HATE the hyped up crap that comes out of the internet marketing community. This is why I don’t buy internet marketing courses…I just learn on my own. In fact, these exaggerated “make money online” courses are the norm in this arena – and so I would surely be associated with these snake salesmen at least in some people’s minds. I don’t want that.
2. The integrity of what I share for free would be called into question. When I share a technique that makes me money, lots of people would think “Well, maybe he is really just trying to get me to buy his latest course”.
3. Its a lot of effort to create, promote, and support such a course. Its time that I could spend building other niche websites, creating new software, or doing other projects.
4. I don’t want to train my competition! If I am having success with a particular technique, I don’t want to always be giving step by step instructions to the very people that could put me out of business. (Yes, I realize that all of you are potential competitors when it comes to niche websites).
5. I don’t want to share my domains. I know that this is what everyone wants to see – a live example of one or more of my websites. Quite frankly I don’t want to leave myself open to copy cats for my keywords. Once one of my domains are out there, it just makes it that much easier for people to find all of my domains and potentially copy all of my “money” keywords. I just prefer to keep it private.
6. In reality, I probably wouldn’t make enough money for it to be worth it. For example, Chris Guthrie recently revealed that he has made about $25k in the past 6 months from his latest training course. I would expect his income from this to be significantly less over the next 6 months as everyone knows these courses have a short life span. I probably wouldn’t promote my course as much as he did, and quite frankly I’m not interested in $25k for giving up the 5 things I mentioned above. Its just not worth it to me.
7. I would probably make much more than $25k over the long run if I focus on building niche websites or other projects that I have in mind.
8. I already did my ebook – Long Tail Handbook that explains everything I do.
Reasons FOR Creating a Niche Websites Course:
1. I could make money. It would diversify some of my income away from the search engines.
2. I could help other people learn the ropes of building niche websites. I do enjoy helping other people, so in a way it would be rewarding. It is also nice to see other people become successful.
3. I would get to know lots of other people and would be able to network quite a bit more. The relationships that I could build through my course I’m sure would be very rewarding.
4. I could build my personal brand quite a bit. So, even if the course doesn’t make a huge amount of money – I would be getting my name out there. This would probably help build my subscriber and email list much more so that if I have products in the future I would have an audience.
5. Many of you have asked for it. I have been contacted on several occasions by people who want me to either create a course or to coach them on a personal basis.
6. It would open doors for lots of Joint Ventures or other networking opportunities with fellow internet marketers. I’m sure that more people would contact me to ask for help in promoting their products, or perhaps relationships that could lead to future business opportunities would arise.
Anyway, this is just kind of me thinking out loud. To be honest, I have created a couple of hours worth of videos over the past few months that I was planning on using for a course. So, I was planning on doing one, but I just don’t think I want to anymore – at least that is where I am leaning.
Do You Have an Opinion?
However, you could change my mind! I’m not sure what your thoughts are on this stuff, but I would be really interested in knowing. Do you think I should create a video course on building niche websites? Do you think I should offer one on one coaching (as several people have asked me to)?
If you have an opinion one way or another – I would love to hear your thoughts!
PS – Depending on how this little thought exercise goes today, I may be sharing some of my plans for my future blog…I will be needing your input on the exact direction…so stay tuned!