As mentioned previously, Pat Flynn and Tyrone Shum (now along with Mark at Masonworld.com and Mike at MikeZiarko.com) are challenging each other to build a profitable niche website with EVERYTHING revealed to the public. I am going to throw my hat into the ring and explain step by step how I build a niche website.
Aren’t You Already a Miserable Failure? Why Start Another Challenge?
Now some of you may ask, didn’t you already do that with your 100 Niche Adsense website in 30 days, and wasn’t that a complete failure?
While its true that I am not making as much from those sites as originally hoped; its also true that I learned a great deal from the experience! Because of the time constraint of the original challenge, along with the fact that I made it public, I cut some corners and did things differently than I usually did.
Did You Actually Learn Anything, or Are You a Complete Idiot?
After the challenge, I fully discussed some of the lessons learned and how I would do things differently in this post. The key mistakes that I made were lack of quality content (only 1 to 2 articles per site) and posting identical articles from my sites to article directories (both done to cut down on the work load in order to reach 100 sites in 30 days). Big Mistake! But now I have learned and hopefully you did as well!
In that post, I discuss how I would be moving towards bigger and better quality websites. I projected that as I moved towards quality I would enjoy better site rankings and monetary rewards. It has been 4 months since my challenge has ended, and I can tell you that the last sentence is absolutely true!
So, What? Have You Done Anything Since the original Challenge?
In the past 4 months, I have only built 4 websites (kinda a slow time for me ). I applied what I learned from my challenge and instead of doing only 1 or 2 articles per site; I’ve added 10 to 20 + articles per site. I have also done a number of things differently which I will get into later.
These 4 sites alone made me over $400 last month in Adsense income. That’s just a start. I also expect these sites to continue to grow quite a bit more since they are only a couple of months old. They also have plenty to move up in the rankings, so the upside potential for these is pretty good.
In addition to these 4 sites, I had built 1 larger website at about the same time as the original challenge. I now have over 100 articles posted on this site and its ranking for TONS of great long tail keywords! This month it will probably bring in about $700 in Adsense income. Then of course I have my original niche sites that I built before the challenge that actually continue to do quite well.
So, did I fail? Kinda. Did I learn from the experience? Yes! Have I been able to apply what I have learned and accomplish something? Yes, again.
So, I am going to give this public display of how to build a niche website one more try. I am going to be showing exactly what I have done in the past to pick great keywords and build a successful site. I would be happy if you joined along.
Okay, with that extremely long introduction as to why I am tackling another public challenge; I am ready to discuss my overall strategy for this niche site duel.
Strategies for the New Niche Challenge
First I want to establish some goals for the site::
- Goal 1: Rank in the top 5 for my primary keyword(s) within 6 months.
- Goal 2: Make $50/day from this site within 6 months time (notice this is much higher than my $1/day per site for my previous challenge).
- Goal 3: Make more money than Pat and Tyrone’s niche sites within 12 months!
Okay, that’s the primary short term goals. However, I would REALLY like to find a niche that could even be something more significant than that. So, when I look for potential keywords, I will be considering the size of the overall niche and the potential for growth.
How Will I Accomplish My Goals?
- First, I will try and find a primary keyword that receives EXACT match searches of at least 10k per month.
- Second, I will try and find a keyword that has a high CPC of at least $1 or more. My primary method of monetization will be with Google Adsense at least in the beginning.
- Third, I will find a niche that has LOTS of long tail keywords. In other words, I will look for a niche that can expand into lots of related subjects (even though these subjects might not include my primary keywords).
- Fourth, I will try and register the EXACT match domain if possible. If not, I will still have the exact keyword within the domain name.
- Fifth, I will produce high quality content that is 100% unique. To start, I will add at least 20 articles to the site. I would expect to add much more down the road.
- Sixth, I will build backlinks! I will promote my site through article marketing, social networking, bookmarking, and other link building methods to be discussed.
- Seventh, I will continue to add relevant content over time and seek to improve the overall quality of the site for the end user.
- Eighth, if possible I will try and create a product that I can then sell to the visitors of my site. This will only be the case if the niche I choose is appropriate for this and it makes sense for the overall business.
Overall, those are the basic steps that I will be taking to build a high quality niche website! So, for starters it will be a smaller website with only 20 articles or so; however, as the traffic grows or as my rankings improve I hope to make this a much more significant site if I can find an appropriate niche.
How Will the Website Make Any Money?
I love Adsense! How could I possibly choose anything but Adsense to monetize my site? At least initially (and possibly forever), I will be using Adsense to make money on the site. If appropriate, I will create a digital product for the site and sell it there in the future.
In addition, for this challenge, I will only be using free methods to generate traffic. So, the majority of my visitors will come from natural search engine traffic; although some will come from articles, forums, or other places I might add articles or links.
What Am I Going to Share With You Along the Way?
EVERYTHING! That’s the whole point. I have just shared my strategies. I will share the domain name, the earnings, and everything else about this site as it gets under way.
Won’t Sharing Everything Have a Negative Impact on the Site?
Possibly. However, as part of the challenge, I have agreed to share everything as part of the learning experience. So, once the domain is revealed, I would ask you NOT to link to the site in any way. I will not be linking to the actual site from this domain either. The purpose of this challenge is to show I go about choosing a niche and built a profitable website from scratch.
I Want to Hear From You
Also, if you have questions along the way, please feel free to ask because I hope to make this as interactive as possible.
So, please leave your comments below in regards to my initial strategies for my niche site. My next post will focus on how I am going to find a niche and the tools that I use to do that.